As ghouls and goblins haunt the night this Halloween, the scariest monster of all lurking about might just be vampire energy. Known in the darkness as standby energy, vampire energy drains energy from your outlets when devices are not in use but still plugged in, increasing your energy usage and sinking its fangs into your pockets.
Look around your home and you are sure to see a number of scary and spooky examples of vampire energy at play. Examples of where vampire energy lurks includes:
- Electronics and office equipment
- Mobile phone chargers
- Computers and printers
- Small kitchen appliances
- Game consoles
When left unattended, vampire energy can account for more than 15 percent of the total energy used by these devices (insert scream of terror).
Taking just a few easy steps can help keep your energy usage down and keep money in your wallet:
- Use a power strip with an on/off switch to completely power down electronics around your home.
- Unplug your mobile phone charger, laptop, or other electronic devices once they are fully charged.
- Turn off all the lights when you leave a room.
- Unplug coffee makers, toaster ovens, and other kitchen appliances when they are not in use.
- When preparing for out-of-town travel, always unplug all non-essential devices like televisions and other electronics.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® label on home appliances, electronics, and other products. ENERGY STAR® products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.
Taking these simple steps can help you put away that steak and hammer this Halloween. Visit your My Account for customized tips based on your home or visit atlanticcityelectric.com/waystosave to learn more about energy saving programs and keeping the things that go bump in the night at bay.